Sociables

& Potent Potables

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Ending a 20 year old mystery


When I was young, as many of you know, I was not allowed to watch movies at home or in the theater. There was however, one small way around this. My mom ran a daycare center, and sometimes, you have to get people to fill in for you. When this kind of situation arose, my Mom would call my best friend Misty's Mom, Senita Watkins, and she would take over for the day. Coincidently, the local Nampa, Idaho library would show one free film a week for the kiddies. Where would you take a group of 15 brats to keep them occupied for a couple of hours? That's right, Senita would sneak us off to the library. Thanks to this beautiful arrangement, I was able to see three films in my childhood: Benji, The Journey of Natty Gann, and The Neverending Story. The Journey of Natty Gann was thereafter "my favorite movie" for years, quickly followed by "and The Neverending Story, I love that movie too!". Benji I don't remember so well, I remember thinking at the time that it really bored me and certainly didn't hold a candle to Where the Red Fern Grows, a book we were reading at home at the time. Anyway, I digress. After seeing The Neverending Story, I wondered for years what the fuck Bastion was yelling at the end of the movie, when he had to give the Childlike Empress a new name. Talks would run on for hours about this, suggestions ranging from Sheena to Heliotriope. No one seemed to know. For years, I steered conversations toward this very topic, hoping for an answer to a question that has plagued my weary soul. Well people, the wait is over (stop reading now if you don't want to know!). According to the official Neverending Story website, the name Bastion yells is: MOONCHILD. A bit of a letdown right? But they could possibly be wrong! Maybe Limahl knows the answer!

3 Comments:

Blogger Derek said...

I can't believe it is Moonchild! I didn't think you supposed to understand what he was saying. And by the way, since when have you been trapzeing around fantasy movie fan-sites? Is this a little secret that you have kept from me for ten years or is this the early stages of the next frontier for Mll. Crystal S.? In any case I'm glad to know. By the way, I remember being traumatized be Benji the Hunted as a child, I saw it as a double feature, the other film being either the first Land before Time film or Oliver and Co. I can't rememeber which, and frankly, I really don't care.
Love and kissables,
Derek

January 20, 2006  
Blogger Crystal said...

Perhaps in a frankly more revealing secret, some other blogger was talking about it on their site, my mind was blown and I just kind of stole it and wrote about it. Maybe I should start snooping around fantasy movie fan sites! If you think about it, 5 year old me and the Neverending Story equals 25 year old me and Lord of the Rings trilogy.

January 20, 2006  
Blogger Crystal said...

Crystal Piece, I am so freaking jealous of your frequent theme song experience! Thanks for the memories...

January 23, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counters
Free Website Counter