Sociables

& Potent Potables

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

Thursday, May 06, 2010

The Mission, Part 4- Stewed Lentils and Tomatoes



A few months ago, I decided to make this recipe from the Barefoot Contessa at Home cookbook because I had all the ingredients in my kitchen, and I was on a bit of lentil kick.  I love how Ina cops to this being a variant on a crunchy hippie recipe she found in a health food cookbook, but one that she loves anyway.  I promptly whipped it up and became converted too!  There is something about this dish that makes you feel all virtuous and supremely healthy, and it is a snap to make, the only part that takes any effort is waiting 40 minutes for it to cook!  The other great thing about this recipe is how variable it is.  When I made it today, I didn't have exactly the right spices, so I just added some cumin and coriander and a bay leaf, and it was delicious!  I also love to grate a little parmesan cheese over before serving, or stir in some creme fraiche or sour cream.  My favorite is to serve with an egg fried in lashings of butter and some toasted artisinal bread.  Yummy!


 
Stewed Lentils and Tomatoes

2 teaspoons good olive oil
2 cups large-diced yellow onions (2 onions)
2 cups large-diced carrots (3 to 4 carrots)
1 tablespoon minced garlic (3 gloves)
1 (28-ounce) can whole plum tomatoes*
1 cup French green lentils (7 ounces)
2 cups chicken stock
2 teaspoons mild curry powder
2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
2 teaspoons kosher slat
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon good red wine vinegar

Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the onions and the carrots and cook over medium-low heat for 8 to 10 minutes, until the onions start to brown. Stir occasionally with a wooden spoon. Add the garlic and cook for one minute more.
Meanwhile, place the canned plum tomatoes, including the juice, in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade and pulse several times until the tomatoes are coarsely chopped*. Rinse and pick over the lentils to make sure there are no stones in the package.
Add the tomatoes, lentils, chicken broth, curry powder, thyme, salt and pepper to the pan. Raise the heat to bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer covered for about 40 minutes, until the lentils are tender. Check occasionally to be sure the liquid is still simmering. Remove from the heat and allow the lentils to sit covered for another 10 minutes. Add the vinegar,season to taste and serve hot.
* I got “quick-crushed,” a rough puree that allowed me to skip the nuisance-y food processor step.  Like many other dishes, this tasted even better the next day.






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counters
Free Website Counter