Sociables

& Potent Potables

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

My New Favorite Thing- Zucchini Tea Cake

There are many things I love about this recipe, how easy it is to make, how delicious it is, but mostly the name: Zucchini Tea Cake.  It smacks of elegance and Chanel suits and English afternoon teas with lemon curd and clotted cream.  I found this tea cake online when I was trolling the Los Angeles Times Food section for new recipes.  It mentioned that it was low in fat and adapted from a Huckleberry recipe, and I bookmarked it immediately.  Not only do I love Huckleberry, but I have been looking for some dessert recipes that fit into my new healthy regime.  Friends, I urge you to make this tea cake right now.  It comes together so fast it's a dream.  It will make your house smell so good, and then you have this heavenly tea cake to eat and you won't have to feel guilty!


Zucchini Tea Cake


Total time: 1 hour, 45 minutes
Servings: 8 to 10
Note: Adapted from Huckleberry Cafe.

2 egg whites
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Zest of 1 orange
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup sugar, plus 1 1/2 teaspoons for topping the tea cake
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup (4.25 ounces) flour
1 cup shredded zucchini
3/4 cup toasted walnuts

1. Heat the oven to 325 degrees. In a large bowl, combine the egg whites, vanilla extract, orange zest and vegetable oil, and whisk just to combine.
2. Whisk in 3/4 cup sugar and the salt just to combine.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder and flour. Gently whisk the dry ingredients into the egg white mixture just until combined. Fold in the zucchini and walnuts.
4. Grease an 81/2-inch by 41/2-inch by 21/2-inch metal loaf pan. Line the pan with parchment paper and grease the paper. Pour the batter into the pan.
5. Lightly sprinkle the top of the batter with the remaining 11/2 teaspoons sugar.
6. Bake until the cake is set (it will spring back when gently touched on top, and a knife inserted will come out clean), about 1 to 11/2 hours; ours typically set after 1 hour and 15 minutes, though this can vary by pan and heat of the oven.
7. Cool the loaf for a few minutes on a rack, then remove from the baking dish and cool completely on the rack.

*Couple of things:  I used canola oil instead of vegetable and it turned out great, I didn't line my pan with parchment paper (who has time?)  and the cake came out of the pan perfectly, and I substituted pecans for the walnuts.  Also, I only had to bake my tea cake for an hour. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counters
Free Website Counter