Sociables

& Potent Potables

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

Sunday, March 19, 2006

YM no more.

For some reason, mentions of YM Magazine have ruled my life lately. First on blogs, then it came up in conversation last night. None of us could remember what the latest explanation of what YM stood for was. This certainly is a pointless topic, but I wanted the people I was chatting with to know the answer to our query. So here is what I found:

"YM was a U.S. magazine geared towards teenage girls. It was the second-oldest girls' magazine (the oldest being Seventeen), having started publication in the late 1950s in a small digest-sized format under the title Young Miss. In the 1960s, the size was increased and the title was changed to Young & Modern, and even more recently to Your Magazine, though the abbreviation YM was the title by which it was commonly referred. It ceased publication in 2005 with the December/January issue featuring Usher. Subscribers received Teen Vogue subscriptions in replacement"

I guess its not called anything now. YEARS of making fun of the name, all down the drain. Teen Vogue is better anyway, and it is nice and small sized, fitting nicely in your smaller purses. I admit this is why I ever bought it anyway. So with that, let YM never be mentioned again!

In other news, today at the Republic of Bananas, I told the fitting room attendant that the clothes I tried on didn't work for me, and then he was all- "I will have them burned immediately" I thought that was great, and totally plan to implement this at the Rack.

4 Comments:

Blogger ted d. said...

I never knew the Young Miss became a dirty term that they had to rebrand, I thought it was always YM for Young Miss.

Maybe in a couple of generations it will be Ya' Mutherfukka.

March 22, 2006  
Blogger Crystal said...

Ted you genius, you crack me up!

March 22, 2006  
Blogger CaliforniaStyle said...

I didn't even know that YM didn't exist anymore. =)

April 02, 2006  
Blogger Crystal said...

Side note:
I just read that Elle Girl is no more. Those mags are just dropping like flies these days! First Vitals, then Chow, and now I fear Budget Living. Stop the madness!

April 07, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counters
Free Website Counter