Sociables

& Potent Potables

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Soaking up the last days of summer...


Le Notti Bianchi
Originally uploaded by Blend10.

I had the loveliest evening last night, and the best part was that I totally didn't expect it. I had to attend the most torturous Aerosoles store meeting, but then Lauren and Derek called and said they had a lovely dinner feast waiting for me. I considered not joining them, because it was well after 11:00, but then I remembered my new philosophy about squeezing every last drop of fun out of this summer. And I am so glad I went! We had the most delicious meal of roasted chicken, postmodern two-bean salad (recipe to follow), bread, and wine. Then we watched Le Notti Bianchi, a very cute but sad movie about a young boy and girl falling in and out of love. And I also got a lovely new painting of a vase of daisies to hang on my blue wall. My friends are so lovely, I can't say enough good things about them!

Postmodern Two-Bean Salad:

1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt

2 cups loosely packed basil leaves

3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

1 lb thin green beans, ends trimmed

2 cans (15 oz.) butter beans (preferably Goya)

2 pints cherry or grape tomatoes

fresh ground pepper

3 oz. shaved parmesan

In medium saucepan boil water with 1 tsp. salt. Place basil in small sieve and dip in boiling water until bright green, 5-10 seconds. Remove, rinse with cold water, squeeze out excess. Keep water boiling for green beans. Combine oil, basil, and 1/2 tsp. salt in blender, blend well. Cook green beans 1-2 minutes. Drain and plunge in ice water, drain and pat dry. In a large bowl, combine beans and tomatoes. Toss with basil oil. Season with salt and pepper. Top with parmesan. Serves 10-12.

We also added fingerling potatoes, which was excellent. I think asparagus would be good as well.

2 Comments:

Blogger Derek said...

That was so much fun! I'm so glad you enjoyed it as much as I did. I was able to convince Lauren to stay and watch Manhattan with me. It was great!

August 25, 2005  
Blogger polly conway said...

That sounds so lovely! Oh, I miss you guys so much!

August 25, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counters
Free Website Counter