Sociables

& Potent Potables

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

Sunday, August 14, 2005

Marchesa Luisa Casati


I was reading through the new issue of Elle, they had put together a timeline of the Goth look. This is where I discovered my new fashion icon, the Marchesa Luisa Casati. They say she used to wear a freshly killed chicken as a stole, and lined her eyes with kohl and black velvet. (Interesting fact, people used to make kohl eyeliner with soot and vaseline. The name for Maybelline cosmetics came from vaseline and the creators sister, Maybelle). I was intrigued, so I did a little research, (click on title above to visit official website) and what do you know, this lady was amazing. She was born in Italy, into a rich family, and was obsessed with the arts from a very young age. She married rich, had a daughter, carried on many affairs, traveled extensively, etc. She was very into supporting the arts, mostly by having herself painted or photographed by the famous artists of the day. They say she used to walk her pet leopards at night wearing a fur coat with nothing underneath. The most interesting thing was that she was painfully shy as a child, then became this total exhibitionist later on in life. I have to go now, because I have to go to Powells and buy a biography about Luisa!

In other fascinating news, I have just discovered that the O.C. is coming back Sept. 8 (earlier than expected!) and a Chipotle restaurant is opening across from my mall, I am in so much trouble! I have actually never eaten at Chipotle, but everyone keeps telling me how good it is, even though owned by McDonalds, I will give it a chance.
Also: The newest edition of the Oxford Dictionary of English has really great slang: my personal favorite..."rock up" (to arrive, as in, "I rocked up to work at 8:30 this morning."). Rock it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counters
Free Website Counter