Sociables

& Potent Potables

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

The tale of Franz Ferdinand and the Old West


Franz Ferdinand
Originally uploaded by Blend10.
Derek and I were lucky enough to attend the Franz Ferdinand concert last night, and even though we have seen them twice already, if felt like the first time. We arrived at the Roseland right after the first opening band, Copy Cut, started and they were excellent. Rock/Disco, with good haircuts and awesome dance moves. I was so in love that I bought their CD on the spot. Let's hope that they are as good on tape as they are live! Then the second opening band, TV on the Radio, came out. I was NOT impressed. I don't get this band. And I couldn't understand a word they said. (Yes, I am officially an old person). It was too loud with too many guitars. I was desperate for my Franz fix. Finally, finally they arrived on stage. Lead singer Alex was wearing a fitted bright red shirt, unbuttoned just enough. The rest of the band was in black, extra points to Nick on lead guitar for his tight tight jeans. And there was a guest fill-in for keyboards and drums, who was adorable in the Franz tradition. If I remember correctly, he was sporting the classic white shirt/black tie combo. They were all as cute as a button, and the crowd ate it up. The great thing about Franz F. is that they know how to put on a show, but they never overdo it. They don't look like they are trying too hard. They know it's about style as well as substance. Especially that Alex Kapranos. Some of his moves seem inspired by Freddie Mercury, but in the best possible way. That man just radiates confidence and sex appeal on the stage. And he's got that cute Scottish accent. They played all our favorites from the first album, and then some beauties from the new CD. There were T-shirts to buy, but unfortunately not the cute accoutrements from the website, such as temporary tattoos and slap bracelets. Derek and I were also totally jazzed because they were doing a signing after the show at this nearby bar, the Dixie. Totally zero respect, this bar's motto is "Portland's only authentic rock n' roll bar". And yes, they have a mechanical bull. So Derek and I ran there as fast as we could, and ended up first in line (YAY!) but we had to wait for an hour and a half for Franz to show. But luckily, there was that mechanical bull to keep us entertained. And it only costs $5.00, or two ladies for $5.00. Now there's a bargain you don't get every day. This one slut spent the whole time trying to show off her bra and thong as much as possible, but the prize for the night went to our favorite girl. Picture this: over-bleached blond hair, jeans with large sections cut from the thighs with fishnets underneath, a pink corset, cowboy boots, and she had clipped a blinking light on the back of her jeans. Yes, blinking lights on her ass. I am not kidding. I thought Derek was going to fall over when he saw her. After, like, a week Franz finally arrived, but they were so cute, I forgave them immediately. They sat down, and Derek and I immediately began talking about them and pointing. They were like the most adorable little monkeys in a cage. Alex saw us staring, and he raised his drink and gave us a little nod. I almost swooned! They quickly signed our CD's, and said a little hello, we gave them mad props for the show, and got the hell out of that crazy bar. We could only imagine what Franz Ferdinand must think of the Pacific Northwest, as well as America. Totally great night, can't wait for next time, when we will party with Franz Ferdinand and convince them to marry us at Voodoo Doughnuts!

1 Comments:

Blogger polly conway said...

HOORAY! I cannot WAIT to see Franz tomorrow night! They are going to be so adorable and enchanting! I wish you could be here to see them again!

October 05, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counters
Free Website Counter