Sociables

& Potent Potables

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Stuff you should know about in the world of literature- The Dud Avocado


I read this book last year when I got seduced by the cover ( I always judge a book by its cover) at Powell's Books.  I instantly was smitten with it and talked about it for days, weeks even.  I have called it "chick lit" when describing it, but hate that term because it cheapens this wondeful novel.  More what I am meaning to say is that I think this book could only truly be loved and understood by females (sorry to all the boys out there who probably love this book!).  It's like watching an episode of 30 Rock, which I do think is only truly loved and understood by women. 
The Dud Avocado tells the tale of Sally Jay Gorce, an American in Paris in the 50's.  She does everything she can to fit in, dying her hair platinum pink, wearing pencil skirts and drinking at the nearest cafe, having affairs with dark handsome men at the Ritz, trying to settle down with the starving artist type, and ends up getting herself into these situations.  All of this may sound "been there, done that" but it is written in the most amazing way, without falling into any cliches and has many passages that make you think, "why that's exactly how I always feel but never knew just how to say it"!!!
My dear friend Polly & I like to talk for hours about who we are going to cast in the film version, and we can usually figure out most of the cast, everyone except Sally Jay!  She is un-castable (did I make up a new word there?) which just might be the best compliment I could give.  Read this book immediately, buy it here.

Here are some pics of different covers over the years:

"The Vie Amoureuse of Sally Jay in Paris"

1 Comments:

Blogger polly conway said...

Perfect post! The Dud Avocado is like a glass of champagne on a spring day (except that Sally Jay hates champagne!). I can't thank you enough for sharing it with me.

February 24, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counters
Free Website Counter